Do you eat enough greens?
The original “dark leafy green” delivers an impressive two dozen vitamins and minerals that you need to workout and recover well. Vitamin K and potassium are essential to building bone and healing muscle. Eating spinach doesn’t have to be a boring cold salad though. If you’re like me, you get bored of eating salad everyday. Today I’m going to share some simple ways to up your greens (source: Rich Landau and Kate Jacoby/Runner’s World).
Try these creative and easy ways to up your spinach game
- Mix it into salsa. For some Mexican flair, food-process spinach with onion, green chilies, lime, cilantro, tomatillo, and olive oil.
- Serve as a crunchy side. Toss spinach with chopped hazelnuts, olive oil, and salt and pepper, and broil for 1 to 2 minutes until the leaves get crispy on the edges.
- Sear it for a side salad. Flash-fry spinach in a hot pan seared with a drizzle of oil, only half cooking it. Sprinkle with sale and pepper, plus a few drips of sherry vinegar.
- Make soup. Cook spinach in vegetable broth with chopped garlic, lemon, and olive oil. Drop in cubes of stale bread before serving for a traditional Portuguese bread soup.
- Punch up pasta. Food-process spinach with basil, lemon, capers, garlic and extra-virgin olive oil. Add some noodles and you’re good to go!
If you don’t cook, try these restaurant hacks
- Opt for the side of veggies instead of fries or potato
- Spinach-artichoke dip. Need I say more?
- If you’re tired of that side salad, get side soup but be sure it has greens in it.
- If you find yourself at Wildfire (Chicago area), order their creamed spinach. It’s amazing.
How do you get your greens?
amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit0”;
amzn_assoc_search_bar = “true”;
amzn_assoc_tracking_id = “tanoshii6603-20”;
amzn_assoc_search_bar_position = “bottom”;
amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “search”;
amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”;
amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”;
amzn_assoc_region = “US”;
amzn_assoc_title = “Shop Related Products”;
amzn_assoc_default_search_phrase = “spinach”;
amzn_assoc_default_category = “All”;
amzn_assoc_linkid = “5717135fa8463818355cdea45245d180”;