DEXA Scan: Accuracy and injury prevention

dexa scan
Spread the word

How do you track your progress?

Most people turn to the scale to track their weight-loss progress. While this does show one aspect of your health, it doesn’t show the whole picture. Just because you’re losing weight and in the healthy weight zone doesn’t mean you’re healthy. It’s better to take a holistic approach when tracking your progress towards fitness and health. Most gyms offer the standard Omron hand-held device that detects your body-fat percentage. But this is not very accurate, seeing how it could be off by up to 5% either way, so if it says you’re 15% body fat, you could actually be 10 or 20%! So what’s a better option?

DEXA scan is the future

DEXA scan, or dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry, uses x-ray technology to figure out the distribution of lean muscle, fat, water and bone in your body. Unlike any other body composition measuring tool, DEXA results are highly accurate and reproducible. And it’s quick! The scan only takes about 7 minutes and you get your thorough results right away. With hundreds of locations world-wide, it’s easy to schedule a scan at a nearby facility.

In addition to DEXA being a great way to track progress, it can also provide a window into many other areas of your health and fitness life. The scans show advanced findings such as muscle asymmetry and visceral fat. Knowing your muscle asymmetries can help you avoid injuries while working out and can help you tailor your exercises accordingly. Visceral fat is hard to detect but so very important since it affects your organs. Excess visceral fat can cause serious health problems.

Accuracy leads to better results

What type of results should you expect from the DEXA scan?

  • Total body bone mineral density
  • Total body muscle mass
  • Total body fat mass
  • Total body bone mass
  • Total body fat percentage
  • Muscle and fat mass in the trunk
  • Muscle and fat mass in your right and left arm
  • Muscle and fat mass in your right and left leg
  • Central abdominal fat measurement

With these results and information, your health and fitness journey becomes more stream-lined. They help you make a plan that works for you and your specific customized goals.

I plan on getting a DEXA scan after my baby girl arrives in April 2019. Although the amount of radiation in a DEXA scan is tiny, it isn’t recommended that a developing baby to be exposed to radiation no matter how low it is. But I’m excited to utilize the DEXA scan to help me make my plan of action to get my body back after baby.

How do you track your progress?


Spread the word
Loading Facebook Comments ...

Leave a Reply

Specify Facebook App ID and Secret in Super Socializer > Social Login section in admin panel for Facebook Login to work

Specify LinkedIn Client ID and Secret in Super Socializer > Social Login section in admin panel for LinkedIn Login to work

Specify Google Client ID and Secret in Super Socializer > Social Login section in admin panel for Google Login to work

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *