To carb or not to carb
That is the question. For many looking to lose weight, they tend to turn towards diets that are low in carbs, or cut out carbs completely. But this is not necessarily the best way to lose weight. Especially since we need carbohydrates in order to exercise and fuel our muscles properly. But rather than reaching for that bowl of cereal or box of Oreos, I’m going to share some healthy, complex carbs you should incorporate into your daily meal-plan.
Next time you’re in the kitchen, whip up some of these quick and easy food items to incorporate complex carbs in your meal.
- Brown rice
- Whole grain bread
- Fruit (especially when you can eat the skin for extra fiber)
- Starchy vegetables (sweet potatoes, squash, pumpkin)
- Beans, lentils, and split peas
- Popcorn (just skip the salt and butter and use spices instead)
- Quinoa, bulgur, and millet
Things to cut back on include the following:
- Sodas and juices high in sugar
- Cookies and crackers
- Chips (sorry guys!)
- Added sugar
- White bread
Be sure to read labels and look for how much sugar is in the food item prior to buying it. It’s best to aim for lots of complex carbohydrates and to not over-indulge in the simple carbs.
What’s your favorite carb?